“My kitchen is on fire!”
As a teenager I remember my mother reminding us repeatedly not to use THAT toaster oven because when she caught it on fire she had unknowingly used flour to try and extinguish the flames. Now I’ve always thought of my mom as an intelligent woman, but I seriously re-considered her intelligence when she threw flour onto the flames leaping in our kitchen!
Several years later I finally understand! About a week ago my daughter and I both woke up with an intense craving for pancakes so I got up, put a movie on for Elizabeth, and started pulling ingredients from my cupboard for lemon and banana pancakes. I’m eagerly whipping it all together and contemplating selling the entire idea to Ihop because my mind can’t even wrap around something else being better than this breakfast!
Suddenly, there are flames leaping from my stove and every last bit of knowledge I’ve gained in the area of what to do in the event of a fire vanishes from my already limited pregnant memory! Now I could stand here and proudly announce that at least I didn’t throw flour on it, but instead I’m going to be brutally honest with myself and you and say that blowing on it didn’t help much either… On the flip side, I did realize at some point that I should probably turn the stove off and call 911! I’m also proud to say that I almost immediately started opening windows, and placed my very confused daughter outside away from the smoke and then I proceeded to call 911.
There is one element of this story that I’ve failed to mention but I will even though its painfully embarrassing… in the midst of me panicking I did manage to remember the fire extinguisher outside my front door in the hallway of my building. The only thing stopping me from using it still baffles me though… I couldn’t remember HOW to use it! Thankfully the neighbor had all the appropriate male parts (i.e. no pregnancy brain) and quickly put the fire out as the firefighters pulled up. Fifteen minutes later my apartment had been efficiently aired out by industrial size fans and I was left with the task of contacting an electrician and freeing my kitchen from all the wonderful chemicals the extinguisher had left behind!
I have to applaud my mother on teaching me that even as mothers we can make some of the stupidest decisions, but at least our families stay safe!